Monday, March 29, 2010

End of Spring Break

What a glorious week. I'm still basking in the beauty of sleeping til 8:00 am everyday, only working two days and our fun filled weekend. *Happy sigh*

Friday Justin and I went to the Provo Temple with his old mission president and his wife along with about 20 other Brasilia returned missionaries. President Aidukaitis is now a general authority in the Quorom of the Seventy. He is amazing. So full of love and genuine kindness. His wife is so sweet and only had kind words and a huge bear hug for me. The temple session was great and we left feeling so lifted and enlightened.

Saturday was Justin's birthday! I wanted to make it special but Justin doesn't like people to fuss over him and hates being the center of attention. Instead of doing something grand, I tried to do things that he loved loved loved doing. So we started out the day by eating breakfast at Pancake House. Then we went to the Einfeldt's house to work on this road bike. Afterwards I told him to go to the Field House to play soccer with all the foreigners while I wrapped presents and filled our apartment with 71 balloons and bright blue streamers (his two fave colors). After he got home we went to a Mexican Market and picked up some Brasilian goodies. We took our brand new climbing gear and went to Momentum in Sandy for some rock climbing. Now we are seriously considering getting a summer membership so we can go more than once a week. After rock climbing we ate way too much churrasco at Braza Grill, his favorite Brasilian restaurant.
Yup, those are the things I knew he would love, so I made sure his day was great!

Sunday I put together a huge Brasilian dinner for my family and my Aunt Cathy and Grandma. Unfortunately, there are no pictures which I can brag to you about how amazing I am for making all this food. Instead I'll just have to brag verbally. The menu?

Appetizers:
Pao de Queijo (which my family started calling Cheese Biscuits to make me mad)

Dinner:
Salad Braslian Style
A beef stew dish I learned from Alice in Brasilia with bacon, bell pepper, onion, carrot and tomato
Black Beans (not from cans, mind you, these were the real deal)
Pinto Beans (for sure not from a can)
Vinagrete (an amazing tomato, onion, pepper mix with vinegar, oil and sugar)
Farofa (a manjoica flour sauteed with carrots and fried banana)

Drinks:
Braslian Limeade
Guarana

Dessert:
Passion Fruit Mousse

Though definitely not as good as the food I ate in Brasil, it was comparable. It will be a long time til I do this again. The beans alone took 5 hours of simmering and I cooked for a grand total of 6 hours hands-on. All and all, it was fantastic and I am amazing. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know you are amazing and I heard the food was too!