Sunday, March 14, 2010

Lentil Soup

I am an on-again-off-again health freak. Lately I'm on the health freak thing. Luckily my husband is super patient and never complains. Sometimes I wonder if he gets sick of it though. The problem is that I'm like my father. In theory I'm all about eating healthy, exercise, blah blah blah... But the truth is that I'm a french-fry-a-holic and that I love comfort foods. At least I can balance it out with a love for asparagus, beets, brussel sprouts and spinach along with an obsession with anything ethnic.

Anyway, this is my absolute favorite healthy vegetarian recipe that I thought I would share. Justin also loves it, which is saying A LOT for someone who sometimes is as picky as a 5 year old. Warning though, I NEVER measure when I cook so some of these are going to be off.

Red Lentil Curried Soup:

About 1/2 cup chopped carrots
About 1/2 cup chopped celery
About 1/2 cup chopped onion
1 can diced tomatoes
1 small can tomato sauce
1 sweet potato peeled and chopped
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp ginger (I use fresh)
2 splashes soy sauce
2-3 TB curry powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp tumeric
Enough chicken or vegetable stock to fill the pot 2 inches above level of contents
1 lb. red lentils
1 can coconut milk
1/2 cup chopped cilantro

Sautee first 3 ingredients in olive oil for about 5-10 minutes in large stock pot. Add rest of ingredients except lentils, coconut milk and cilantro. Simmer for about 30 minutes. Taste and adjust spicing if needed. Add lentils. Simmer for about 35-40 minutes until lentils are cooked all the way through. Add coconut milk and cilantro. Simmer for about 10 minutes.

It takes a while to make, but so worth it with all the vitamin A you're getting as well as a healthy, filling warm meal. Love love love it!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds delish. Funny enough, I went from reading your post to another blog where they discussed the popular Canadian dish "poutine..."

Cammie said...

I just have to say that poutine is so good.