Thursday, August 5, 2010

California...

I always hesitate to write about political issues. My family, who I adore is pretty split as far as politics go. I never want to offend or upset anyone and I certainly don't want to get into debates which usually end in someone stomping off or crying. (Yes, this has really happened... multiple times...) I'm talking about my Dad's family. While on the other side, my Mom's family is and will probably always be hard-core republican right-wing tea party nuts. I like to straddle the middle and advocate communication and deliberation of specific issues rather than loyalty to bipartisan opinion.

But I do have to say this overturning Prop. 8 thing in California is pretty nuts. What's the point of the majority vote if someone in the judicial system can veto it? And why is this all of a sudden a "human civil right"? I thought marriage was an institution that was the bedrock of our culture and most basic societal unit. Our physiology speaks pretty loudly for itself when looking at how a naturally occurring family develops. I'm sorry, but I think civil rights have little to do with institutions as old as humanity and more to do with equal rights in voting, financial capabilities, housing, etc. I think Prop. 8 was perfectly constitutional in sanctioning an institution like marriage between individuals with the capabilities to procreate and move society forward as has been done for tens of thousands of years.

Someone at my old job asked me to share my beliefs with her regarding this issue last week. I gave my opinions honestly and was cut off after 30 seconds and told I was "judgmental" and following my Christian beliefs "blindly" and that I had no respect for gay individuals and had no idea what I was talking about. Honestly, I stay away from reading too many press releases by my church and the newspapers so I can remain objective. I have had gay friends and known many great people in that community. I have worked with lots of gays in the spa industry. However, I remain firm in my belief. If the gay community can speak loudly about how they feel they're treated unfairly, I can speak loudly and say that I think traditional marriage is under attack and those who support it are often accused of being bigots, haters and even niave idiots. That's a pretty big double standard.

There, I've spoken my peace.

No comments: