Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Blackberry Jam

A year ago I was given a jar of smashed blackberries from the garden of Justin's best friend's mother, Debbie Einfeldt. I have been afraid of canning since then but yesterday during some free time I finally tried it!
My blackberry jam actually worked out and all my bottles were properly sealed! I was pretty stoked. I just bought a few things from the grocery store like tongs, a canning magnetic lid wand and a funnel. It was so quick too!
One of my personal goals is to be more self-reliant and learn some of the skills my mother and grandmother know so that I can be thrifty and save us money while living more healthy. Justin also has this goal. So far we have been doing pretty good! Justin is a whiz at fixing bikes, changing the oil and basic maintenance. I now know canning, how to cook almost anything and am re-learning how to sew. When we move into our new place I'm buying some vegetable plants and herbs to put on our back porch since the new apartment will actually get some morning sunlight.

It feels good to be learning self-reliance!

No comments: