Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Winter of summer

This winter was SO WARM. Global warming at its finest here in Utah. Unfortunately all of us praying for snow were not more specific about where the snow should go because it all ended up on the east coast. Sorry Boston and NYC!

This year we decided to start having me learn to ski. We went a few times as a family and I went a few times by myself. A friend, Jayne, took me to Alta to give me a decent lesson since she used to teach at Deer Valley. Another time I went to PCMR to practice on my skis, but couldn't help but get a few runs on my board just to remind myself I don't totally suck.





Justin got to tour a few times we some buddies. He absolutely LOVES touring. Unfortunately, the guy in our neighborhood who goes the most likes to do dawn patrol hikes as early as 4:30am. Justin hates getting up that early, but he's always so happy when he gets home. Like a giddy little kid.







We went on a few hikes right after a good storm and got the BEST views of Millcreek in the powder. It was SO gorgeous. Richie honestly just LOVES to play in the snow. He's a happy child normally, but in the snow he turns into a snow eating/digging/pawing machine. It's adorable. And, of course, our siberian husky children adore the snow too. Too bad they only got a few good days of this during this winter.







We took Richie to the Winter Outdoor Retailer show this year. It was kind of a stressful time. He was just whining most of the time and wanted to play with all the gear on display. I'm sure the vendors were like, "What are these parents doing here? And why do their badges say they are merchandisers??"


Then there's the story of this year's cold and flu bugs. Ugh. From about mid-January til early March we were all sick at one time or another. Justin brought something home from the ER and it hit everyone. Then Richie brought something home from the pediatrician and everyone got it. Then I got something from work but didn't share. It was really lame.




Then there's the story of the night I went to two ERs. Richie had been super congested and I was worried so I brought him to St. Mark's ER while Justin was working so one of the docs could just take a look at him. We didn't have to get admitted, he was just examined quickly and found to be just fine. When I got home I noticed the bottle of children's tylenol on the floor and Porsche had chewed up the bottle. Knowing how toxic Tylenol is to the liver, I drove Porsche and Richie straight to the Pet ER in Murray. Three hours later I left feeling really uneasy as the vet said it would be over $1000 and she was probably fine but they should keep her overnight. I called Justin and he decided to pick up Porsche and bring her home per our regular vet's advice. The next day we took her to our vet and blood work showed she didn't have anything troubling in her system. Justin administered some IV fluids at home and we were fine. But the whole experience left me totally shaken and exhausted.
Right before Valentine's we got a little surprise. I already wrote about the after effects of this. But here's how it went since I never wrote out the full story.
One morning I woke up with an uncontrollable craving for Chinese food. And normally I hate Chinese food. The craving was so bad I had Justin pick up food for me the minute they opened (thanks Long Life Vegi House for the vegan options). Justin said, "Man, that's weird. I wonder if you're pregnant..." I laughed pretty hard. After he had gone to work I decided to use one of my three year old pregnancy tests I had from Richie-trying days and photoshop it so I could freak him out.
I took the test and... positive. So I took another one... positive. I was the one freaking out. After having a good cry to my sister Caroline I decided I would take some higher quality ones not from the dollar store in the morning. So $12 later I was still positive. So I scheduled a blood test. Positive.
And there you have it. Human bean #2 on the way!
For Valentine's day I planned an evening at the Grand America! My parents took Richie for the night and we partied at the hotel... Not really. Just watched TV, took a nice bath and watched more TV, bought some late night snacks, watched more TV and went to bed around 2am. Good times.

Speaking of babies! My bestie Evelyn had her baby at the end of February. Cute little Thomas Creighton. I was lucky enough to go to one of her three showers (her family is HUGE). Here's a shot of us plus our great friend Heather (Heather's twin couldn't make it as she lives in San Fran).
One afternoon we took Richie to the Children's Discovery museum and he got to see a real helicopter. Okay, so this was actually more fun for Justin since his ultimate goal is to be a flight nurse... But Richie had a good time too evident by the fact that he screamed bloody murder as we tried to leave.
As I spent more time at home after quitting Montage I got to hang out a ton more with Richie. It's been so fun and exhausting and sweet. I love my little man. He's got so much inherent joy. He's also sensitive. Sometimes we are lucky enough to get to hang out with his 4 year old cousin, Bentley. Richie adores his "B."











My sister Hilary and I also went for a hike one evening up AF Canyon near Tibble Fork. We got such a beautiful sunset view.

And that's about as exciting as it gets for the winter!

No comments: