Sunday, September 28, 2014

Sickies, hot springs and family time

I can't believe it's been a month since we got back from our amazing, mind blowing trip. Where has the time gone?!? AHHH!

First big update. Justin got back from Brazil and had several interviews awaiting him as a new grad from nursing school. The second interview wasn't even an interview. It was a job offer! He accepted this job as a nurse at St. Mark's Emergency Department. Yay! He is getting closer to his goal of eventually landing a spot on AirMed or Life Flight. Just a few years in the ED, a few years in the ICU and hopefully he'll attain his 5 year professional goal plan. I'm thrilled for him.

This meant that passing his nursing boards was a high priority and the pressure was on. This test, the NCLEX is set up in the most confidence shattering way. It adapts to how well you're doing. If you are failing, it stops early. If you are killing it, it stops early. If you're riding the fence it keeps going until it figures out how you're doing, or gives you all 265 questions. Or, apparently, 1 in 8 people just get all the questions any way so they can use your test as research for future testing. Gah! Lose lose, right? So as the test goes on you think, "Oh no, I'm failing" and your confidence wanes. Or you think, "I'm doing awesome" when you potentially might be failing. It's stupid. Justin went in with his buddy who left after an hour or so. But Justin was still sitting there. For all 265 questions. When he finished he felt terrible. I felt so bad for him. A day or two later he checked the state's website to see if his license was posted and..... HE PASSED! Yayayayayayayayaya!!! We celebrated with dinner somewhere. Can't remember where. But all the blood, sweat, and tears finally paid off.

So since Brazil and Justin truly killing it at life by passing his boards and landing a job so quickly, here is what the family has been up to.

Basically immediately when we got home Justin AND Richie both got miserably sick. There were lots of cuddle sessions, crying sessions, and chilling in our hammock. So sad.









Our garden had exploded when we got back. I was pretty proud of our precious produce. (A little alliteration for you.)


Also we were given the most amazing grapes and peaches from my parents and auntie. So while the sickies slept I canned.


While I went to work, Justin let the dogs take care of Richie.




While Richie was taken care of by two furry teenagers, I got this view at work.


He had fun, but is getting tired of us idiot parents.

 So once everyone was on the road to recovery, we tried to make the most of Justin's few weeks of relative freedom before starting his big boy job. There was many much hiking and dog parking. Richie basically only has fun if Justin's carrying him in the backpack or he's digging in the dirt. It gets a little old for me.









One weekend we decided to do a short overnighter with my love, Evelyn and her hubby Richard. Yep. Richie and Richard. So with Evelyn announcing her recent pregnancy, we decided to do something easy and short. She wasn't feeling up to doing a big backpacking thing. So we went up AF canyon, which, seriously, is one of the most beautiful canyons in Utah. It's one of the only redeeming things about Utah County. So we drove up to Timpanookee trail, off the beaten path a bit, and hiked a whooping 2/10 of a mile to Julie Andrew's Meadow. You could practically hear hills alive with the sound of music. (See what I did there?) But seriously. It was SOOOO gorgeous. So we had a little evening of fire (don't tell the park service), jokes, laughing, tea, and a fussy baby. It was so fun to catch up. We love the Creightons!!!


































After a long week and not seeing my girlie friend Liz for a looooong time, we decided we needed to hang out. This girl is amazing. She's always down for anything fun. And I mean anything. I wanted to hike Granduer Peak with her so we left Monday evening around dusk with the idea of watching the sunset. We made it to the top after a good hike and catching up with the latest in our lives. We were a little late for that and instead got a great view of city lights.
As we came down from the hike, the dogs took off for a while. Finally, after calling and calling we caught up to them. But the smell almost knocked us both over. They had clearly had a run in with the skunk. It was AW.FUL. The car ride home was so nasty. Liz stuck her head out the window gasping for air. When we pulled in the driveway she literally jumped out of my car and bailed. I don't blame her for the attempt of self preservation.... even though her clothes still stunk.

After a few hours of washing them over and over with a mix of hydrogen peroxide, dish soap, and vinegar, we managed to the get the smell from unbearable to awful. And they were banished to the backyard for the next two days.


Shampoo and after shampoo the dogs got a little better. But Porsche still slightly stinks when she gets wet. Our car had to be scrubbed down on the interior several times and I ended up pouring an air freshner on the textile. Oh well.

A few days later we went on an adventure to Diamond Fork Hot Springs in Spanish Fork. Utah County twice in one week! Can you believe it?
The hike in was so mellow and the weather was perfect.
Richie loved playing in the warm water and playing with the rocks. It was GORGEOUS!











I posted this picture to my Instagram and the Daily Herald asked if they could print it in their paper. Pretty cool, even though no one reads that paper. I can now claim that I've been published. Since Justin's in the picture, I guess he can claim that too?

Between work and home life, we tried to exercise in the beautiful fall colors before life begins to get crazy. Justin went and rode the Crest trail three times with his friend Erik, his boyfriend Tyrel, and our neighbors John and Kathleen. Can you believe where we live?!?






I got a few trail runs in up Millcreek canyon and behind my place of work in Deer Valley. Gorgeous!!!




One afternoon we were able to take Richie and our cute niece Bentley to the zoo. I hate the zoo. But I love these kiddies. #doitforthekids
Right now I'm split between working at the U of U Orthopedic Center rehab and Spa Montage. It's two totally different worlds but it's a good thing for me to have a little balance in my professional life. Speaking of professional life, do you like how the Ortho Center's rehab pool is decorated?

One Saturday evening I arranged a temple date night for us. One of the cute young women in our ward (thanks Emi!) watched Richie and we headed out to the Jordan River temple. I love going to the temple. Lately I don't get there often, but it's on my goal list to make it there once a month. Justin and I both needed that spiritual reminder.

That morning we went out to support the 3rd annual Huntington's "Team Hope" walk. Justin's family is affected by Huntington's disease and we went out to support the cause. I want to talk more about it, but I think I'll save it for another post. My feelings and experiences with Huntington's disease isn't so appropriate for this post. Some other time.

We borrowed a neighbor's bike trailer recently and took Richie for a few rides. He LOVED it. Giggling and squealing the whole time, Richie is totally his father's son.




So that about sums up our last month since returning from Brazil. Good times. I love that we are in the midst of fall, and General Conference is next weekend and then Halloween is at the end of the month.
Here are some more pics of Richie in the last month. Just because he's adorable.
















Oh wait... that's Justin.


The end!

P.S. Anyone have advice for what to do about this remnant of toenail that's clinging to dear life? Geez this thing is giving me the worst time. (Double edged sword of trail running.)





No comments: