Thursday, July 3, 2014

Summer in full swing

Wahoo! Summer has begun. Best season ever.

We begin by the hot summer night dillerium that had Justin making this ridiculous video:

And of course, summer family hikes have begun. Not as strenuous and ambitious as times gone by, but more fun and definitely more adorable than they have ever been.

Sometimes Richie and I eat lunch outside in our new grassy backyard. Picking up the dog poop in a timely fashion has become a routine as well to avoid stinky baby feet and, more importantly, giardia.

Also, the world cup begun! Go Brazil! (Sorry USA, I routed for you until the bitter end.)


Over Father's Day weekend we headed up to Jackson Hole. Our kid did AMAZING! He's a natural born camper. The car ride up we were shocked how upbeat and happy he was.

We hung out with friends, played in the tent, ran the river, and even went into town to peruse stores, gawk at the southern tourists, order take out Thai food, and take cliche pictures by the obscene display of violence towards wildlife. I also went on a run along the Snake river on the highway at 7 am in 40 degree temps in running shorts, and then quickly bundled up in a down jacket, beanie and jeans while Justin crazily ran the river in the snow. Richie napped peacefully in the trunk of our Subaru on mounds of pillows and under sleeping bags.












A week later it was my birthday! It started out pretty well. We got ready to go on a bike ride while I fed Richie pancakes and Justin did dishes. Then I picked him up out of the high chair, turned around, didn't see the dishwasher door open, and went down HARD with Richie in my arms. Richie flew out of my arms, landed on his right arm and screamed louder than I've ever heard. After trying to calm him down for an hour, we realized something was really wrong. What really tipped us off was watching him trying to hobble around the floor with one arm. Or that he couldn't actually hold anything with his right arm. So we went down to the instacare. While Justin took him in, I went to a local drug testing facility. Random, right? No, actually, I had been given a job offer when things with Montage went south (I seriously can't stand our spa director, she is the WORST) for a pretty sought after position at the U of U ortho center, and because my drug test came back as "dilute" I failed and had to take another one. (That's what happens when you have kidney issues and you drink 6 liters a day, so sue me.) I came back after going to this totally shady place with one lady working there and watched my poor baby get x-rayed as he screamed his lungs out. Turns out he had a buckle fracture where the bone literally buckles on itself (fairly common in kids) in his proximal humerus. Poor thing. They couldn't cast it or give him a sling. But the doc said in three weeks it would be fine. So after coming home traumatized (both Richie and myself, Justin found the whole ordeal fascinating), we took him to the Rich household. There he could play with his fanclub; Jack, Josh, Isaac and Jane while we went on birthday bike ride. We rode up Emigration canyon and had a great but freezing time since it had snowed that night in the mountains. That evening we went out for dinner at the Dodo. After some mushroom tacos and canjun alfredo for Justin, we came home and ate yummy cupcakes from City Cakes. And that was my birthday. Poor Richie.


 Two days later he was almost as good as new... minus the ability to crawl...
Meanwhile, I had registered for the Xterra 1/2 marathon on a trail along the Jordanelle Resevoir in Park City. One night I went out for an 8 mile run but forget to tell Justin how far I was going. At about 10 pm he panicked, got our sweet neighbor to sit with Richie as he slept, and took off up the canyon after me. Luckily we passed each other on the way down and he came back. Sorry, babe. Thanks for being a concerned loving husband. This is a pic of me the night I went missing and my search and rescue came after me:
Last week we had the great fun of hosting my sister and her kids at our house! Woot woot! Got to see my little sis, Caroline, and Noah (3) and Elijah (1 1/2). They are crazy and fun and exhausting kids. Sometimes they were happy to be here, other times, not so much. But all in all, they did great. Here is some of the fun we had:


And they were so sweet to come for Richie's first birthday! So were a bunch of our friends. Thanks for coming guys, it was awesome to have you. I had a vision of a great outdoor BBQ with friends, sun, a kiddie pool, and summer magic. But alas, a rainstorm ruined all the fun. I hadn't actually cleaned my house, but we took it indoors anyway. The main event, the cake smash, went down great. He didn't know what to do at first. But with the help of little people, they got the job done. Happy birthday, Richie, you are beautiful.














Two days later I ran my trail 1/2 marathon. I felt good at the start, but holy crap, it was way tougher than I expected. The first three miles were fairly flat and easily run. My splits were really good too. By the fourth mile the hills started. Up, down, up, down. The ups were long and steep, the downs were too. By the third station I was starting to feel a little tired. By the 1/2 way mark I knew I was in trouble. On my way back my splits were 2 minutes behind my normal pace. The last two miles my legs were trashed from the hills. I hadn't paced myself well. But, I finished! My goal was complete. Meanwhile, Justin had unofficially done a 5k with Richie in the backpack since he didn't nap in the car with all the noise. They met me at my last mile, which was so motivating and sweet for me. My dad met me on the last steep hill. It was so inspiring. Thanks family for seeing me at the finish line! I love and appreciate you all.




The next day Richie, Justin and I all got food poisoning. It was awful. 

But at least I got to have this awkward text conversation with my parents and sister.


Yay. 

And now summer is in fill swing. And these are things summer are made of...




Happy summer!


No comments: