Monday, February 15, 2010

Goodbye McKay

Last week I attended the funeral of a childhood friend and neighbor. Maybe some of you heard of the missionaries in Romania that died in their apartment from a natural gas leak. That was McKay Burrows and his companion. McKay was about 4 years younger than me. When my family first moved in to my parent's current home in Highland, McKay's family befriended ours. They were the only children in the neighborhood who would play with me and my two little sisters. We ate dinner with their family almost once a month. We had lemonade stands together. We went out on picnics together and museums trips. The Burrows family have been loyal friends of ours throughout the years. In fact, McKay's father taught and baptized my father when I was 11 years old. Ten years later he represented me as my lawyer when I got my annulment from my first marriage. To say that McKay and his family are great people is a huge understatement.

The family had to reserve the Alpine Tabernacle for the funeral because there were so many attendees. A church wouldn't have done the job. The apostle Elder Nelson attended and spoke. I cried for most of the funeral thinking about how such a young man could just disappear so quickly. Elder Nelson said, "When the Lord requires a transfer like this from missionaries, we feel heart broken, but we know he is needed elsewhere."

In all the heartbreak and sadness felt by the hundreds of attendees and family, it's wonderful to know that I can see McKay again. That's the beauty of what McKay taught so enthusiastically in Romania. He taught others that we CAN see each other again. This life isn't the end. We can be together forever... not just some of us, but anyone who chooses to believe. I love this about my religion. It is the most beautiful and comforting principle. That families can be together forever and that our love is eternal.

McKay's little brother, Ashton performed "When You're Dreaming with a Broken Heart" on the piano while he sang. I loved this song before he performed it last week (it's John Mayer) but now it takes on new meaning. Watching McKay's adoring little brother play struck a deep painful chord in my hear. Now I can't listen to the song without crying. Here are the lyrics:

When you're dreaming with a broken heart
Then waking up is the hardest part
You roll outta bed and down on your knees
And for a moment you can hardly breathe
Wondering was she really here?
Is she standing in my room?
No she's not, 'cause she's gone, gone, gone, gone, gone....

When you're dreaming with a broken heart
The giving up is the hardest part
She takes you in with her crying eyes
Then all at once you have to say goodbye
Wondering could you stay my love?
Will you wake up by my side?
No she can't, 'cause she's gone, gone, gone, gone, gone....

Now do i have to fall asleep with roses in my hands
Do i have to fall asleep with roses in my hands?
Do i have to fall asleep with roses in my hands?
Do i have to fall asleep with roses in my , roses in my hands?

Would you get them if i did?
No you won't, 'cause you're gone, gone, gone, gone, gone....

When you're dreaming with a broken heart
The waking up is the hardest part


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at8V7sgIdTg


In the program they printed part of a letter from McKay to his siblings. "I love you guy so so much. I miss you tons too but things are the best the way they are. Enjoy life and high school while you still can. You only get to once. Don't mess it up or let it slip by like I did. BE BOLD!! Love, Elder McKay Burrows"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am very sorry, Adrienne.